A very good friend of mine runs a manufacturing company with about 150 employees. In a recent board meeting he posed these questions to his board. “If Papa had a physical office in our company, how many decisions would you make without Him and what decisions would you consult Him on? What is different between that idea and what you do now? Why?” The responses were interesting in that almost everyone had a belief at some level that there was a separation between Father God and them and that they would have to do something better to hear Him or to get Him involved. If He promises never to leave us or forsake us and is in us, how much closer can you get.
We ended up having a good laugh around this topic because both of us as owners in our businesses spend most of our day helping our employees solve problems, make decisions and sort out their ideas and/or concerns. We were cracking up thinking about how many times we would walk into Papa’s office and say, “Hey boss, got a minute”? If we truly believed He was that close and involved, we would be having the “Got a minute”? meetings all day on so many more issues. So, what is stopping us from tapping everything He has to offer rather than being satisfied with stress, anxiety, fear, and the uncertainty that comes from trying to handle everything ourselves. Try it and see what happens. After all, if Jesus is the model he only did and said what the Father was doing and saying. You have to believe that Jesus had a lot of “Dad, got a minute”? conversations.
I encourage you to re-read many of the verses below from the perspective of a “Got a minute”? meeting with Papa. I would propose to you that many of us believe these verses in whole or in part in our heads, but do not put the truths into practice and would sincerely like to experience the wisdom and direction from Papa. Approaching Him like you were dropping in His office and then listening to what He has to say will make the truths in these verses real.
- Proverbs 3:5-6 – Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.
- James 1:5 – If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.
- Philippians 4:6-7 – Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
- Proverbs 16:9 – The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps.
- Proverbs 2:6 – For the Lord gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.
Straight paths, wisdom generously given, no anxiety, increased peace, guarded hearts and minds, established steps, more wisdom, knowledge and understanding. Not bad results from changing how you approach your Father who absolutely loves you. Try it out!
Blake Schellenberg – Co-Labor Ministries